Welcome to Fiber Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Erik Raudsep

Gigapower Conduit installation in Durham

36 posts in this topic

Here in Ridgewood and Ridgefield we got the notice yesterday that within the next 30 days they will be installing conduit to the homes. And they are putting up the orange yellow blue and red flags this morning to mark lines.  So I guess they are not wasting any time.

2 people like this

I was coming home to work from there today and there are people digging everywhere in my neighborhood.  So of course I snapped some pictures I also saw so fiber on spools so I took some pictures for the tech guys here so you know what AT&T is laying in this area.  

Please Login or Register to see this image.

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0089.thumb.JPG.7432adc0465587b676d93f67a0841497.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0089.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0090.thumb.JPG.d8c4297b147dc2546051208ee35b6750.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0090.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0091.thumb.JPG.831e80eb0dd2b293875fb3540f085a83.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0091.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0092.thumb.JPG.56193fba379b1d068d1178681dedda63.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0092.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0093.thumb.JPG.1d1ec28fb405f3d82869aed38043349f.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0093.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0094.thumb.JPG.698cf4d4ca0b750c2be908c0b93c4ad2.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0094.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0095.thumb.JPG.68351f261156b4cbcd2439bec767ef98.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0095.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0096.thumb.JPG.df75bb8554b56804de79723e0f9bfefc.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0096.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0098.thumb.JPG.dce9645f94e3a48bd8874106e0828f1d.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0098.JPG">

I also talked to a guy from AT&T who was kind of just checking up on the contractors for the digging and we are being run out of the Hut located on Roxboro Rd. All of this and we only got our door hangers alerting us to it coming on Thursday of last week this is very fast seeing this is the the following monday.  The AT&T rep said as long as everything goes on schedule and no problems arise they plan on turning over to marketing in 60 days. 

4 hours ago, Erik Raudsep said:

The AT&T rep said as long as everything goes on schedule and no problems arise they plan on turning over to marketing in 60 days. 

Not to bust your bubble but the actual timeline from work crew start to order ability seems to be hovering around 5 to 6 months...

1 person likes this

I kind of figured that there would be delays nothing goes as well as planned but hey at least there is light at the end of the tunnel as it were. 

I am still impressed 4 days after the notices were hung on the doors of the community they are already digging to be honest I thought it would be weeks before we got to this stage even. 

Yeah, it was exactly 6 months between the door hanger and ordering service for me. Love the service so far. 

2 people like this

The installation in the community continues can anyone tell me what these big boxes are right outside of my community they installed them today. 

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0065.thumb.JPG.c03e532457344440b276acdf466d5b86.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0065.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0066.thumb.JPG.1aaa828ef9b52f5ced063a2adec44bad.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0066.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0067.thumb.JPG.ca0d2121752ee07e1e1af21803a52bec.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0067.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0068.thumb.JPG.06bd5cd4b7d1131d9f2484c367de3ab0.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0068.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0069.thumb.JPG.4b2120089f1723aeb63d1f5b7970a00d.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0069.JPG">

1 person likes this

Those are handholes.  They use those big ones for storing fiber slack, or protecting splice cases.  Any vault you can pop the whole top off of is typically called a handhole, vs. vaults with a round metal cover, typically called a manhole.

1 person likes this

So now in front of the those hand holes they installed this. They started the installation the next day. 

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0039.thumb.JPG.2592612aa6d532873e5976b027970230.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0039.JPG">

/monthly_2016_04/PTDC0040.thumb.JPG.2a05b76ddd573143ace1107345b22f53.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0040.JPG">

5 hours ago, Erik Raudsep said:

So now in front of the those hand holes they installed this. They started the installation the next day. 

That is a Primary Flexibility Point, or PFP.  It is the Fiber equivalent of a Copper Crossbox.  It terminates fibers going to homes in a specific neighborhood.  It also terminates the feeder fiber coming from the CO into splitters.  This is where they connect the fiber going to you home back to the CO.

2 people like this

The lines have begun the splicing process according to the tech they are hoping to be done in about two weeks.

/monthly_2016_05/PTDC0001.thumb.JPG.b068e01423348194154638dc7d723907.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0001.JPG">

1 person likes this

I hope they get you hooked up soon. 

Edited by Roger359
1 person likes this

Erik, did AT&T put little handhole boxes in front of every house or so with the drop fiber coiled up for when someone orders service?  That was the last step on my street and should it have been done at the same time as when the tap fiber was run.  But AT&T had different plans I from what I can figure out and only started doing this after their stop work order by Durham back last fall.  I'm just curios if plans have changed to do this on all new installs.

Also, do we have that PFP on the map yet?  If not, send me the coordinates and I'll add it. 

There is a small 9x12 handhole box already installed in between every other house that was done about 3 weeks ago.  Then on the last week of them running the cable to those hand holes some of the handholes were changed to much larger ones about 24x36 about one per street and two PFP's were installed on on each side of the complex.  They have two crews in the neighborhood doing splicing right now at each of the larger handholes they are getting about two large handholes done per day it seems but that is only a guess.  So for a neighborhood with 240 homes I guess two weeks for the splicing is about right.  They are expecting a third crew to come in some time in the second week to start making connections to the PFP's according to the tech I talked to.  Their goal is to have the community up and moved to marketing by the end of June middle of July according to the tech but how accurate his information is I am not sure.  

according to my best guess and my cell phone accuracy google maps the location of the PFP's are 35.995984-78.810878 and 36.010708-78.802106

I was trying to get a picture today but I was in a rush,  I saw one of the fiber companies running to a new box its is grey has alpha written on it and has a power meter any idea what this is. 

30 minutes ago, Erik Raudsep said:

I was trying to get a picture today but I was in a rush,  I saw one of the fiber companies running to a new box its is grey has alpha written on it and has a power meter any idea what this is. 

We would really need a picture, but probably an RT cabinet, or a DSLAM/VRAD.  Is this in an area where AT&T is overbuilding Frontier?

I think it was coincidence that Time Werner was changing out a box at the same time as the fiber install was going on.  On the back of the Box it clearly says CATV.  

/monthly_2016_06/PTDC0045.thumb.JPG.60bfdb9e56a5922fc4c46aab6a078a3e.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0045.JPG">

/monthly_2016_06/PTDC0046.thumb.JPG.ca1207060309bd92d9ce58f02488b298.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="PTDC0046.JPG">

1 person likes this

So starting yesterday and continuing today new contractors for AT&T have started digging up the small handholes and replacing them with larger ones and why does AT&T use sometimes Green and sometimes Beige is there a color code that goes with it.  

On 6/4/2016 at 4:36 AM, Erik Raudsep said:

I think it was coincidence that Time Werner was changing out a box at the same time as the fiber install was going on.  On the back of the Box it clearly says CATV.  

/monthly_2016_06/PTDC0045.thumb.JPG.60bfdb9e56a5922fc4c46aab6a078a3e.JPG" />

/monthly_2016_06/PTDC0046.thumb.JPG.ca1207060309bd92d9ce58f02488b298.JPG" />

Ya this is a power amplifier/injector of coax. Pretty standard every so often anywhere TWC is deployed. Mostly its just a signal amplifier for coax. Nothing todo with fiber.

according to the AT&T tech that I talked to today they are light testing all of the lines back to the PFP to get through all the lines should take about two weeks more as they test each line they are attaching them to the PFP directly and in about 3 to 4 weeks my area should be turned over to marketing.  I hope what he says is true.  If it is that is only 4 months from notice of digging to marketing.  

So they found a cracked fiber and had to re do the line it has been done and now tested and the technician that I have befriended over the process said they were going to turn over to marketing on monday of this week because he is done and the PFP already has been registered with the CO and everything is done.  So after the fiber testers are done and all the boxes are checked off how long from when they turn over to marketing till you can order I have been doing the address look up every day and it still says not yet available. 

All I can tell you is what a tech told me and I have no way of verifying this, but once things are turned over to marketing it takes about a week. That's what I was told and once again I have no way of verifying that. I will say in my case it was 1 week after final testing that I was able to order service. The lines were given a thumbs up by the techs and it was turned over to marketing and in 2 weeks I was a u-verse customer. 

1 person likes this

So we have been kicked back from marketing back to Engineering.  We have two crews back after they moved us to marketing two weeks ago.  They have more communication issues and they same Engineering crews are back they say that they are hoping to be done by the end of the week.  So I guess more delays.  

Does anyone know of any hold-up in turning over to marketing on Gigafiber in Durham for AT&T?  I have checked addresses that got fiber installed months ago even earlier than myself and they are not turned over to marketing yet either.  This makes me wonder when things will get turned on.  AT&T spent all this money to get the lines in place shame that they are not jumping to get customers and a return on the investment yet.  

On 7/12/2016 at 5:50 PM, Erik Raudsep said:

So we have been kicked back from marketing back to Engineering.  We have two crews back after they moved us to marketing two weeks ago.  They have more communication issues and they same Engineering crews are back they say that they are hoping to be done by the end of the week.  So I guess more delays.  

Where in Durham?

It is located off of mineral springs on pebblestone. in zip code 27703

Edited by Erik Raudsep
1 person likes this