Welcome to Fiber Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Smooth

North Durham fiber updates...

30 posts in this topic

Other than the construction of the Latta Rd. Fiber Hut, progress on Google Fiber installation has been very slow in North Durham.

This thread is a place to post any updates on Google Fiber activity north of I-85 within the City Limits.

1 person likes this

Noticed several large cable reels at the intersection of Umstead and Guess. I'll take a pic on my way home today. I'm hoping this is a staging yard for the fiber distribution from Hut RDU128.

1 person likes this

Turns out it is AT&T Fiber, not Google. Hopefully Google will soon follow AT&T's lead and begin fiber distribution in North Durham.

Please Login or Register to see this image.

/monthly_2017_02/IMG_7726.thumb.JPG.334968b2fea5ff592fadeaac93083469.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="IMG_7726.JPG">

/monthly_2017_02/IMG_7727.thumb.JPG.5037a94deb6c1d0278883c583b83f63d.JPG" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="IMG_7727.JPG">

2 people like this

@Smooth, great spotting.  Pretty much a dead give away whose fiber it is when the packing list says customer, "AT&T".  If you look at the tag, you see it has the OptiTap tether connectors pre-installed on the roll. 12F is for a 12 fiber OptiTap connector.  So between about every 12 houses AT&T puts one of the 12 port OptiTap connectors for the drop going to each residence.  The drop cable just screws into it on one end and is pull over to the house, sometimes up to 1000 feet away is needed.  Pretty much like Coax Cable drops except that the fiber drop can be much longer without loss problems.  

Somewhere in this area this till connect to a PFP cabinet.  (Primary Flexibility Point).  It's similar to a copper cross box but for fiber.  It just has a passive splitter in the cabinet to connect 1 fiber from the CO to 32 homes.  Each PFP cabinet will have 200 to 400(or more) drops from the surrounding neighborhoods.    We've got pictures of all these in the AT&T section. 

1 person likes this

This weekend I've noticed flags up alongside Latta Road.  Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures, but I noticed them making the turn from Guess Road.  Also, there have been flags up for a while now at the intersection of Latta/Infinity and N. Roxboro St, with most of them at the Exxon gas station.

I tried to use near ticket to see if I could get an idea about the flags at the intersection:

http://newtina.nc811.org/newtinweb/ncocc_nearticket.html?lat=36.077440&long=-78.910232

The first 2 entries have as company name Dufiber Installation, with Rafael Aguilar as foreman.  I couldn't find any other information regarding this, so I'm wondering if this is AT&T or Google Fiber.  However, I did notice the last 7 entries contain (except for 1) S&N Communications, Inc. southward of the intersection.

Near Guess Road the flags appear to be from Company: G L CONSTRUCTION, INC, Foreman: LILIANA.  I also noticed ATT Light Gig as work type on some of the tickets.

http://newtina.nc811.org/newtinweb/ncocc_nearticket.html?lat=36.080402&long=-78.928983

Not sure how much this information helps, but I figured I'd throw it out here just in case someone knows how to figure it out.

Edited by OfNullAndVoid
Added link for guess road flags

1 hour ago, Smooth said:

What is "near ticket"?

It's the phone app version of calling 811 for the dig safe marking you are required by law use if you dig on your property.  So you don't hit utilities.  If you hit a utility and didn't call for a locate, they can bill you for the cost of the repair and downtime or other customers.

Look in Google Play or Apple's app store for NC811.  One of the sections in the 811 app is called a "Near Ticket".  It uses GPS on your phone to show the dig tickets in the system up to 1000ft of your current location.  It will show anyone who has called for a locate in that radius.  Often time you can see who is doing the work based on the business name or individual name.  You can initiate a dig request as well in the app. 

Tickets are supposed to expire if not renewed.  The Android app has a bug where the expired tickets don't disappear.  The app needs a bug fix but is still usable.

1 person likes this

That's handy. Looks like Bechtel has a ticket to mark for fiber nearby in three days (!)

I hope they aren't paying the programmers that created these apps too much money!  The UI is pretty horrible.  Because there's a huge number of tickets for my neighborhood, the list is MASSIVE.  At first I didn't even see the text and map allllll the way at the bottom of the list.  I wish you could at least filter by month or week.  My list is populated with old stuff from last year too.

Am I missing something?

I officially received an AT&T GigaPower flyer on my door last night indicating construction will begin within 30 days and last no more than 4 weeks.

I can't figure out why Google Fiber distribution has been so slow as compared to AT&T? Shame really. Google is so late to the dance that by the time they complete their distribution, they will realize many potential customers have already signed 3-year contracts with AT&T.

Is there any compelling reason why I shouldn't just go with AT&T and hold out for Google, who are refusing to release their implementation schedule? Both products seem very similar.

/monthly_2017_02/FullSizeRender2.thumb.jpg.6299f3e88f90b3cbfb35f038999446da.jpg" />

/monthly_2017_02/FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.9858d68cdf31534116e1ecb1d5749a41.jpg" />

Edited by Smooth

45 minutes ago, Smooth said:

I officially received an AT&T GigaPower flyer on my door last night indicating construction will begin within 30 days and last no more than 4 weeks.

I can't figure out why Google Fiber distribution has been so slow as compared to AT&T? Shame really. Google is so late to the dance that by the time they complete their distribution, they will realize many potential customers have already signed 3-year contracts with AT&T.

Is there any compelling reason why I shouldn't just go with AT&T and hold out for Google, who are refusing to release their implementation schedule? Both products seem very similar.

What 3 year contract are you talking about? I have ATT fiber, and only have a 1 year agreement, which can be bought out for, if I remember correctly, $15/mo you have left of your year. 

As I am sure you are aware, one of the compelling differences for me is the included 1tb of storage. I would also personally prefer to support Google as a company. 

I believe it was still a good 2 or 3 months before service was actually able to be ordered AFTER they finished the construction. Potentially, you could still have 4-6mo before service is available. This timeline could be spend up now but that was my experience. 

2 people like this

Only if you sign a Direct TV deal do you have more than a one year term.  Fiber only internet is 12 month and does reduce by $12 for every month you have service.  It's an $180 ETF.  Now you don't have any install or activation fee when you sign up with AT&T fiber.  Just $50 for 300Mbps or $80 now for 1Gbps.  So keeping service for 1 year is to at least cover their cost to install which is reasonable.  The ONT, RG/Router, and splicing and burying the cable coast more that several months of service alone.

And you do have a 30 day cancellation period.  But good luck on getting them to bury your drop cable if you cancel.  It takes several months for them to bury the rest of the drop right now.  They are that backed up.  

But Google does seem to be picking up pace now.  Most all huts are built and they are working their way around.  It's just better built and takes longer since they are using conduit, unlike AT&T.    

1 person likes this

Driving down Guess Rd this morning between Latta and Horton there were 2 trucks towing spools of the orange conduit heading North. 

5 hours ago, jbisch said:

Driving down Guess Rd this morning between Latta and Horton there were 2 trucks towing spools of the orange conduit heading North. 

I'm not certain but pretty sure that's the AT&T Fiber distribution effort, which is underway all over North Durham.

10 hours ago, Smooth said:

I'm not certain but pretty sure that's the AT&T Fiber distribution effort, which is underway all over North Durham.

I tend to agree, no other indication that it is not. 

On Latta just past the GF hut there is a large amount of black cable thar is wound up on the ground and blocked off with orange barricade, I wonder what that is?

On 3/1/2017 at 2:53 PM, Smooth said:

I thought AT&T pulled all their permits and decided not to overbuild Frontier.  Did they change their minds again when I wasn't looking?

19 minutes ago, ncted said:

I thought AT&T pulled all their permits and decided not to overbuild Frontier.  Did they change their minds again when I wasn't looking?

Kitts Creek is on the Durham side of Wake County and they (AT&T) are overbuliding Frontier there literally right now. 

21 hours ago, bigreg said:

Kitts Creek is on the Durham side of Wake County and they (AT&T) are overbuliding Frontier there literally right now. 

Isn't that in Morrisville though?  Or are there more than one Kitts Creek?  Please excuse my geographic ignorance.

22 hours ago, ncted said:

No, they seem to be covering most of Durham.  I have service in SW Durham.  And my kids go to school up near North Gate mall and the Life and Science area.  A lot of the houses around the North Gate Park area have AT&T handhole vaults in the front yard, just like mine.  And this is not an upscale area so it's very much a sign that AT&T is doing pretty much the whole city.  This is not too far from the old long lines office at 3003 N. Roxboro Road that has the designation DRHMNCTL.  That CO got the OLT gear later than Chapel Hill's CO as they had to wait on the fiber to be built 1st. 

The other Durham CO is DRHMNCRT at 5616 Chin Page Road.  It was upgraded later to support AT&T Fiber.  Along with the Chapel Hill CO on 207 E  Rosemary ST CPHLNCRO, AT&T can pretty much cover Durham with just these 3 Central Offices.  Right on top of Frontier.  In fact better as they don't have any copper to deal with, get in the way, upkeep, and so on.  AT&T is also not using poles in Durham except where necessary over creeks or the Interstate.  I have a whole post about it with pictures here on the Fiber Forums .

On 3/2/2017 at 1:07 AM, jbisch said:

I tend to agree, no other indication that it is not. 

On Latta just past the GF hut there is a large amount of black cable thar is wound up on the ground and blocked off with orange barricade, I wonder what that is?

Sounds like a fiber roll.  If you were able to read the label it would probably give you an idea.  AT&T is pretty much only using Corning from what I have seen.  And it's marked AT&T on the Fiber.  Google seems to be using OFS for at least some of their fiber cable.  I haven't been able to get any good pictures yet of what Google is running. 

5 hours ago, F100 said:

No, they seem to be covering most of Durham.  I have service in SW Durham.  And my kids go to school up near North Gate mall and the Life and Science area.  A lot of the houses around the North Gate Park area have AT&T handhole vaults in the front yard, just like mine.  And this is not an upscale area so it's very much a sign that AT&T is doing pretty much the whole city.  This is not too far from the old long lines office at 3003 N. Roxboro Road that has the designation DRHMNCTL.  That CO got the OLT gear later than Chapel Hill's CO as they had to wait on the fiber to be built 1st. 

The other Durham CO is DRHMNCRT at 5616 Chin Page Road.  It was upgraded later to support AT&T Fiber.  Along with the Chapel Hill CO on 207 E  Rosemary ST CPHLNCRO, AT&T can pretty much cover Durham with just these 3 Central Offices.  Right on top of Frontier.  In fact better as they don't have any copper to deal with, get in the way, upkeep, and so on.  AT&T is also not using poles in Durham except where necessary over creeks or the Interstate.  I have a whole post about it with pictures here on the Fiber Forums .

Sounds like a fiber roll.  If you were able to read the label it would probably give you an idea.  AT&T is pretty much only using Corning from what I have seen.  And it's marked AT&T on the Fiber.  Google seems to be using OFS for at least some of their fiber cable.  I haven't been able to get any good pictures yet of what Google is running. 

Interesting.  I wonder if they will make it up to Brightleaf at the Park.  Google already dug up the neighborhood real good, so, if AT&T is going to do the same, I wouldn't bother fixing things until they do.

17 hours ago, F100 said:

Thats the thing, its not on a roll, just just kinda wound up in a pile sitting on the ground, to me it looks like it belongs hung on the telephone polls not buried in the ground. 

8 hours ago, ncted said:

Isn't that in Morrisville though?  Or are there more than one Kitts Creek?  Please excuse my geographic ignorance.

Yes it is Morrisville, but unlike the rest of Morrisville our LEC was Verizon/Frontier.  So this may as well be Durham.

2 hours ago, bigreg said:

Yes it is Morrisville, but unlike the rest of Morrisville our LEC was Verizon/Frontier.  So this may as well be Durham.

OK.  I was thrown off by the forum topic being "North Durham..."

I spotted an S & N Communications truck at RDU128 Latta Rd Fiber Hut this evening. Looks like some work is happening HOPEFULLY!